Section: General rules of construction
(1) The provisions of this act not inconsistent with those of prior laws shall be construed as a continuation of such laws.
(2) This act shall be deemed to be a part of the general and permanent statutes of this State. The abbreviation "N.J.S. 14A" shall constitute a reference to this act, and sections of this act may be cited by section number only, preceded by such abbreviation.
(3) No repeal contained herein shall affect any right now vested in any person pursuant to the provisions of any law so repealed, nor, except as otherwise provided herein, shall it affect any remedy in an action or proceeding heretofore instituted and pending on the effective date of this act. "Action or proceeding" as used in this section shall not be limited to judicial actions or proceedings.
(4) The repeal of Title 14 of the Revised Statutes, as amended and supplemented, shall not of itself be deemed to revive any common law right or remedy abolished by any provision of said Title.
(5) The classification and arrangement of the sections of this act have been made for purposes of convenience, reference and orderly arrangement, and no implication or presumption of a legislative construction shall be drawn therefrom.
(6) In the construction of this act, no outline or analysis of the contents hereof or of any chapter or other part hereof, no cross-reference or cross-reference note and no headnote or source note to any section shall be deemed to be a part hereof.
(7) If any chapter, section or provision of this act shall be declared to be unconstitutional, invalid or inoperative in whole or in part, by a court of competent jurisdiction, such chapter, section or provision shall, to the extent that it is not declared unconstitutional, invalid or inoperative, be enforced and effectuated, and no such determination shall be deemed to invalidate or make ineffectual the remaining provisions of this act.
(8) The provisions of chapter 1 of Title 1 of the Revised Statutes shall be applicable to this act.
(9) Any reference to a section or sections of Title 14 of the Revised Statutes, as amended and supplemented, in any other statute which became effective prior to the effective date of this act and which remains in effect, shall be given effect on and after the effective date of this act, as though the reference therein were made to the section or sections of this act which contain the statutory material formerly included in said section or sections of Title 14, as amended and supplemented. Where the statutory material formerly included in Title 14 as amended and supplemented, is not included in this act, references thereto in any other statute which so became effective and remains in effect, shall cease to be operative and shall be deemed to be superseded.
L.1968, c.350; amended by L.1969, c. 102, s. 16.
We hope you find our tools helpful, please visit www.thelegalassistant.com for further information on our other free legal tools and products including LPO compliant legal case management software.