Section: Review, report.
13. The department, in consultation with the Source Reduction Task Force of the Coalition of Northeastern Governors (CONEG), shall review the effectiveness of this act no later than 42 months after its effective date and shall provide to the Governor and the Legislature a written report based upon that review.
a. The report shall include:
(1) a recommendation whether to continue the exemptions provided in paragraphs (7), (8) and (9) of subsection a. of section 5 of this act; and
(2) a description of the nature of the substitute elements used in lieu of lead, cadmium, mercury or hexavalent chromium during the manufacturing or distribution of a package or packaging component.
b. The report may contain recommendations to include additional toxic substances contained in packages or packaging components on the list set forth in section 4 of this act in order to further reduce the toxicity of packaging waste.
Any recommendation to include an additional toxic substance on the list set forth in section 4 of this act shall include:
(1) a determination as to whether the continued use of the proposed substance presents or will present an unreasonable risk to health or the environment, which determination shall utilize a nationally recognized risk assessment protocol taking into account the magnitude and severity of the environmental harm against the benefits of the substance to product manufacturers and the general public;
(2) a determination as to the availability of a substitute element to be used in lieu of the proposed substance; and
(3) a description of other adverse effects which the addition of the proposed substance to the list set forth in section 4 of this act may have on product manufacturers or the general public.
L.1991,c.520,s.13; amended 1997, c.307, s.4.
We hope you find our tools helpful, please visit www.thelegalassistant.com for further information on our other free legal tools and products including LPO compliant legal case management software.