Section: Requirements for manufacturer provided with return share in weight greater than zero, TV exception.
10. a. By June 1, 2010, each manufacturer to whom the department provides, by April 2, 2010, a return share in weight that is greater than zero shall submit a plan to the department to collect, transport and recycle covered electronic devices.
b. Each manufacturer to whom the department provides, by February 15, 2012 or by February 15 of any year thereafter, a return share in weight that is greater than zero shall, by March 15 of that year, comply with the requirements of subsection a. of this section.
c. An individual manufacturer submitting a plan pursuant to subsection a. of this section shall collect, transport, and recycle its return share in weight.
d. A group of manufacturers jointly submitting a plan pursuant to subsection a. of this section shall collect, transport, and recycle the sum of the obligations of each participating manufacturer.
e. Every plan shall be filed with a manufacturer's annual registration, and shall include:
(1) Methods that will be used to collect the covered electronic devices including proposed collection services;
(2) The processes and methods that will be used to recycle recovered covered electronic devices including a description of the recycling processes that will be used, including the name and location of all authorized recyclers to be directly utilized by the plan;
(3) The processes and methods that will be used to recycle recovered covered electronic devices which originated from transactions between business concerns;
(4) Means that will be utilized to publicize the collection services, including specification of a website or toll-free telephone number that provides information about the manufacturer's program in sufficient detail to allow consumers to learn how to return their covered electronic devices for recycling; and
(5) The intention of the registrant to fulfill its obligation through operation of its own plan, either individually or with other manufacturers.
The department shall hold confidential any information obtained pursuant to this subsection when shown by a manufacturer that the information, if made public, would divulge competitive business information, methods or processes entitled to protection as trade secrets of the manufacturer.
Recovered covered electronic devices shall not be sent to prisons for recycling either directly or through intermediaries and nothing in this section shall be construed to allow for the recycling of covered electronic devices by prisoners. Any person committed to a jail, prison, or other institution for the detention of persons charged with or convicted of an offense shall be disqualified from engaging in the manual or mechanical separation of covered electronic devices to recover components and commodities contained therein for the purpose of re-use or recycling.
f. Each manufacturer's plan or plan jointly submitted by a group of manufacturers shall be reviewed to determine its compliance with subsection e. of this section and approved by the department. The department may reject the plan, in whole or in part, and may impose additional requirements as a condition of approval.
g. If a manufacturer fails to comply with all the conditions and terms of an approved plan, the manufacturer shall be prohibited from selling or offering for sale in this State a covered electronic device.
h. Manufacturers that collect, transport, and recycle covered electronic devices in excess of their obligation may sell credits to another registrant or apply that excess to the following year's recycling obligation.
i. (Deleted by amendment, P.L.2008, c.130)
j. (Deleted by amendment, P.L.2008, c.130)
k. Nothing in this act is intended to exempt any person from liability the person would otherwise have under applicable law.
l. The provisions of this section shall not apply to any manufacturer or retailer of televisions offered for sale for delivery in this State.
L.2007, c.347, s.10; amended 2008, c.130, s.8.
We hope you find our tools helpful, please visit www.thelegalassistant.com for further information on our other free legal tools and products including LPO compliant legal case management software.