Section: Appointments to municipal fire department, force of certain firefighters.
2. a. The provisions of any other law to the contrary notwithstanding, the appointing authority of a municipality which, pursuant to N.J.S.40A:14-7, has established and maintains a paid or part-paid fire department and force may appoint as a member or officer of the municipal fire department and force any person who:
(1) was serving as an officer or member in good standing in any paid or part-paid municipal fire department and force;
(2) satisfactorily completed a working test period in a firefighter title in a municipality which has adopted Title 11A, Civil Service, of the New Jersey Statutes or satisfactorily completed a comparable, documented probationary period in a firefighter title in a municipality which has not adopted Title 11A, Civil Service; and
(3) was, for reasons of economy, terminated as a firefighter within 60 months prior to the appointment.
b. A municipality may employ such a person notwithstanding that:
(1) Title 11A, Civil Service, of the New Jersey Statutes is operative in that municipality;
(2) the municipality has available to it an eligible or regular reemployment list of persons eligible for such appointments; and
(3) the appointed person is not on any eligible list. A municipality which has adopted Title 11A, Civil Service, may not employ such a person if a special reemployment list is in existence for the firefighter title to be filled.
c. If a municipality determines to appoint a person pursuant to the provisions of this act, it shall give first priority in making such appointments to residents of the municipality and second priority to residents of the county not residing in the municipality.
d. The seniority, seniority-related privileges and rank a firefighter possessed with the employer who terminated the firefighter's employment for reasons of economy shall not be transferable to a new position when the firefighter is appointed to a firefighter position pursuant to the provisions of this section.
L.1993, c.187, s.2; amended 2010, c.43, s.1.
We hope you find our tools helpful, please visit www.thelegalassistant.com for further information on our other free legal tools and products including LPO compliant legal case management software.