Section: Existing boards, commissions and public bodies continued
In any municipality wherein Title 11 (Civil Service) of the Revised Statutes is in operation, whenever a vacancy occurs in the fire department or force by reason of the granting of a leave of absence as provided by law, the appointing authority shall certify to the Civil Service Commission the reason for such vacancy, the name of the person and his office or position.
The appointing authority may fill temporarily such office or position by the appointment of any person who:
(1) is over 21 and not over 45 years of age;
(2) is a citizen of the United States and a resident of New Jersey;
(3) is able to read, write and speak the English language well and intelligently;
(4) is of good moral character; and
(5) has not been convicted of any criminal offense involving moral turpitude.
Such temporary employment shall terminate upon the date when the appointee's predecessor returns to his duties, or when it is determined that said predecessor will not return, or sooner when deemed advisable by said appointing authority.
L.1971, c. 197, s. 1, eff. July 1, 1971. Amended by L.1972, c. 3, s. 9, eff. Feb. 15, 1972.
We hope you find our tools helpful, please visit www.thelegalassistant.com for further information on our other free legal tools and products including LPO compliant legal case management software.