Section: Actions or proceedings by unauthorized insurers prohibited; exceptions
No unauthorized insurer shall institute, file, or maintain, or cause to be instituted, filed, or maintained, any suit, action or proceeding in this State to enforce any right, claim or demand arising out of any insurance transaction in this State except with respect to the following:
(1) Investigation, settlement, or litigation of claims under its policies lawfully written in this State, or liquidation of assets and liabilities of the insurer (other than collection of new premiums), all as resulting from its former authorized operations in this State;
(2) Transactions involving a policy, subsequent to issuance thereof, covering only subjects of insurance not resident, located or expressly to be performed in this State at time of issuance, and lawfully solicited, written, or delivered outside this State; or railroad or aviation risks engaged in interstate or international commerce and insurances of vessels, crafts or hulls, cargoes, marine builders' risks, marine protection and indemnity or other risks including strikes and war risks commonly insured under ocean or wet marine forms of policy;
(3) Transactions pursuant to surplus lines coverages lawfully written under subtitle 3 of this Title;
(4) Reinsurance effectuated in accordance with the laws of New Jersey;
(5) The continuation and servicing of life insurance or disability insurance policies or annuity contracts remaining in force as to residents of this State where the insurer has withdrawn from the State and is not transacting new insurance therein.
L.1960, c. 32, p. 106, s. 5. Amended by L.1963, c. 189, s. 2.
We hope you find our tools helpful, please visit www.thelegalassistant.com for further information on our other free legal tools and products including LPO compliant legal case management software.