Section: Words and phrases defined
a. Before the organization meeting of the board of trustees, the incorporators may amend the certificate of incorporation by complying with subsection a. of section 15A:9-4.
b. An amendment of the certificate of incorporation pursuant to a plan of merger may be made in the manner provided in chapter 10 of this act.
c. An amendment of the certificate of incorporation of a corporation not having any members entitled to vote thereon shall be approved upon receipt of the affirmative vote of two-thirds of those trustees present at a meeting called for the purpose of considering and voting upon the proposed amendment unless the vote of a greater number is required by the certificate of incorporation or bylaws. Upon adoption, a certificate of amendment shall be filed in the office of the Secretary of State as provided in section 15A:9-4.
d. All other amendments of the certificate of incorporation shall be made in the following manner:
(1) The board of trustees shall approve the proposed amendment and direct that it be submitted to a vote at a meeting of the members;
(2) Written notice setting forth the proposed amendment or a summary of the changes to be effected thereby shall be given to each member of record entitled to vote thereon within the time and in the manner provided in this act for the giving of notice of meetings of members;
(3) At the meeting, a vote of members entitled to vote thereon shall be taken on the proposed amendment. The proposed amendment shall be adopted upon receiving the affirmative vote of two-thirds of the votes cast by the members entitled to vote thereon and, in addition, if any class of members is entitled to vote thereon as a class, the affirmative vote of two-thirds of the votes cast in each class vote. The voting requirements of this subsection shall be subject to the greater or lesser requirements as are adopted pursuant to section 15A:5-12;
(4) Any number of amendments may be acted upon at one meeting;
(5) Upon adoption, a certificate of amendment shall be filed in the office of the Secretary of State as provided in section 15A:9-4.
L.1983, c. 127, s. 15A:9-2, eff. Oct. 1, 1983.
We hope you find our tools helpful, please visit www.thelegalassistant.com for further information on our other free legal tools and products including LPO compliant legal case management software.